representative of oversease business

You can apply for this visa if you’re either:

  • The sole representative of an overseas business planning to set up either a UK branch; or
  • An employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK.
  • You must also have enough money to support yourself without public funds.
  • You must meet the English language requirement.

Sole Representatives

To apply as a sole representative, you must:

  • Be recruited and employed outside the UK.
  • Hold a senior position within the business and have authority to make decisions on its behalf.
  • Have the skills and experience to do the job.
  • Intend to establish the overseas business’ commercial presence in the UK.

Newspaper, News Agency or Broadcasters

As an employee of the above, you can come to the UK if you are being posted here for a lengthy assignment.


Applying from outside the UK

If you are applying from outside the UK, once you have provided your identity and provided your documents, you will usually get a decision within 3 weeks.


Applying from inside the UK

If you are applying from inside the UK, you will get a decision within 8 weeks of your application date.



If you are applying from outside the UK, this visa costs £610. If you are applying from within the UK, this visa costs £704 plus £19.20 for your biometrics.


How long you can stay.

This visa lets you stay in the UK for a period of 3 years. You can extend this visa for another 2 years. After 5 years you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK if you meet the eligibility criteria.


  • Make sure you have evidence to prove that you meet the English language requirement.
  • Make sure to provide details of where you are staying in the UK
  • Check if you need a Tuberculosis test result certificate.
  • Check if you need a certified translation of documents that are not in English.


  • Do not underestimate the complexity of this application.
  • Do not forget to prepare the correct evidence you need.
  • Do not forget a detailed cover letter to accompany your application.
  • Do not forget to pay the correct fee.
  • Do not forget to provide your job description, employment contract and salary details.

Our team have expert knowledge in these applications and can guide you correctly to endeavor a positive result. At Kalsi Solicitors we have no desire to provide dishonest advice – if we do not feel your application will be successful, we will tell you and help you find another route. This application may be a bit more complex than many people originally think. This is where our highly experienced lawyers will be able to simplify and explain difficult parts of the application and advise you on which documents to provide to successfully submit your application.

How We Can Help You

Get in Touch with us Today


Applying for a sole representative visa from abroad

You cannot apply for a sole representative visa whilst in the UK, so an entry clearance application is the only way. We can assist you with the entire visa application process.

Contact us

Applying for your dependants

If you wish to apply for entry clearance or further leave for your partner and/ or children under the age of 18 as your dependants, we can assist with this application process. Leave is granted in line with your visa.

Contact us

Applying for settlement (indefinite leave to remain)

If you have been in the UK for a period of 5 years as a sole representative migrant and you meet all other ILR requirements, we can assist you with the settlement application process.

Contact us

Challenging a decision

If your sole representative application has been refused we can assist you with an  Administrative Review  of the application, or alternatively challenging the refusal in the First Tier or Upper Tribunal.

Contact us

Immigration Matters. Get in Touch

Head Office

De Montfort House, 1 De Montfort Square, Leicester, LE1 7ER

Call Us

0800 368 8939