travel documents

A travel document is a document that you can apply for if you want to travel outside the UK but you are not British nor can you use your passport from your country.

Keyworkers or Compassionate Reasons

If you are a keyworker or need an urgent travel document for compassionate reasons, the Home Office will try and prioritise your application. Make sure to provide evidence of one of the following:

  1. A family member or friend is seriously ill.
  2. You are seriously ill.
  3. You need to travel for medical treatment that cannot be delayed.
  4. You are a carer for someone who needs urgent medical attention.
  5. You are a keyworker (doctor, nurse, schoolteacher)


You can only get a Home Office Travel Document if you live in the UK for one of the following reasons:

  1. You have Refugee status in the UK
  2. You have Humanitarian Protection for a limited time.
  3. You have Discretionary leave for a limited time.
  4. You have Indefinite Leave to Remain.

There are 4 types of travel documents you can apply for:

  • Conventional Travel Document
  • Stateless Person’s Document
  • One Way Document (also known as IS137
  • Certificate of Travel


  • Make sure you have filled out the travel document application accurately.
  • Pay the correct fee.
  • Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements.


  • Forget to check if the country you are travelling to will accept a travel document.
  • Forget to check if you need a visa for the country you wish to travel to.
  • Forget to check how coronavirus restrictions will affect your travel.
How We Can Help You

Get in Touch Today

Contact UsBook Meeting

Immigration Matters. Get in Touch

Head Office

De Montfort House, 1 De Montfort Square, Leicester, LE1 7ER

Call Us

0800 368 8939

Book Meeting