British nationality law can be a complicated area, having gone through a number of significant and historic changes. There being 6 different types of British Nationality:

  • British citizenship
  • British overseas territories citizen
  • British overseas citizen
  • British subject
  • British national (overseas)
  • British protected person

The most common form of British Nationality that can be acquired is British Citizenship, with allows applications Naturalisation or Registration. Our expert team are able to assist in both these areas, in addition to assisting in more complex areas of nationality law, including British Overseas Citizens.

Naturalising as a British Citizen

When free from Immigration restrictions on your residency in the UK (ILR or have permanent residence) for at least 12 months, you maybe eligible to for naturalisation. Applicants must also meet a continuous residency criteria, be of a good character and satisfy the English language requirements and pass the Life in the UK test.

The application can only be submitted via post and must include relevant documentation including the application form completed by yourself and referees. Thereafter, the application will be reviewed and considered.

Once approved, you will receive an invitation to attend at a Citizenship ceremony which is usually local to where you live and at the ceremony you will receive your Certificate of Naturalisation.

Registration as a British Citizen

Naturalisation as a British Citizen is only available to individuals over the age of 18 or over. Therefore should you have a child that’s under the age of 18, you would be required to apply to Register as a British Citizen. Dependant on when and where your child was born, it shall determine whether they are required to apply to be registered as a British. If your child was born after either of its parents were granted indefinite leave to remain, the shall not be required to apply for nationality and can apply directly for a British passport. Naturally the passport office shall need proof of the status of the child’s parents. In the event that the child was born in the UK but before either parent had ILR, then the child shall need to be registered as British. In practical terms there is no difference between naturalisation and registration.

How We Can Help You

Get in Touch with us Today

British Nationality Services

Naturalising as a British Citizen

For those deemed as exercising their treaty rights as a worker,  self-employed, self-sufficient or a student, we can help to obtain a certificate confirming their rights of residence.

Contact us

Registering Children as a British Citizens

For EEA nationals looking to bring their Non EEA family members to the UK, we can assist in the submission of the EEA Family Permit.

Contact us

British Nationality Reconsideration

For EEA nationals wishing to extend their non EEA Family members’ stay in the UK, we can assist in obtaining 5 years residence in the UK.

Contact us

Immigration Matters. Get in Touch

Head Office

De Montfort House, 1 De Montfort Square, Leicester, LE1 7ER

Call Us

0800 368 8939