A Health and Care Worker Visa allows medical workers and professionals to come to the UK to take up employment with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care.
To qualify for this visa category, you must demonstrate:
- You are a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional.
- You work for a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office.
- You work in an eligible health or social care job.
- You have a ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’ from your employer that includes information about the job you have been offered.
- You will be paid a minimum salary (depending on the job description)
- You must have a good knowledge of the English language.
This visa can last up to 5 years before you need to extend it. When your visa is due to expire, you will need to apply to either extend it or update it if there have been any changes in your employment (such as a change in jobs or employer).
After 5 years you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Applying from outside the UK
If you are applying from outside the UK, once you have provided your identity and provided your documents, you will usually get a decision within 3 weeks.
Applying from inside the UK
If you are applying from inside the UK, you will get a decision within 8 weeks of your application date.
There are some limitations of this visa category. Be advised of these before you apply under this route. Please note that you cannot apply for benefits or change jobs or employers unless you apply to update your visa. You will get a list of what you can and cannot do under this visa category when you apply.