health and care worker visa


A Health and Care Worker Visa allows medical workers and professionals to come to the UK to take up employment with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care.

To qualify for this visa category, you must demonstrate:

  1. You are a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional.
  2. You work for a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office.
  3. You work in an eligible health or social care job.
  4. You have a ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’ from your employer that includes information about the job you have been offered.
  5. You will be paid a minimum salary (depending on the job description)
  6. You must have a good knowledge of the English language.

This visa can last up to 5 years before you need to extend it. When your visa is due to expire, you will need to apply to either extend it or update it if there have been any changes in your employment (such as a change in jobs or employer).

After 5 years you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK if you meet the eligibility criteria.


Applying from outside the UK

If you are applying from outside the UK, once you have provided your identity and provided your documents, you will usually get a decision within 3 weeks.


Applying from inside the UK

If you are applying from inside the UK, you will get a decision within 8 weeks of your application date.

There are some limitations of this visa category. Be advised of these before you apply under this route. Please note that you cannot apply for benefits or change jobs or employers unless you apply to update your visa.  You will get a list of what you can and cannot do under this visa category when you apply.


  • Make sure you have evidence to prove that you meet the English language requirement.
  • Make sure you have a confirmed job offer from your employer before you apply for your visa.
  • Check if you need a Tuberculosis test result certificate.
  • Ensure that your employer has been listed under the Home Office Approved Employers.


  • Do not underestimate the complexity of this application.
  • Do not forget to prepare the correct evidence you need.
  • Do not forget a detailed cover letter to accompany your application.
  • Do not fail to pay the application fee and the healthcare surcharge.
  • Do not fail to prove that you meet the financial requirements.
  • Do not forget your employer’s sponsor license number.

If you are not eligible for a Health and Care Worker Visa, you may still be eligible for another type of visa to work in the UK. Get in touch with our immigration lawyers today for a free consultation to help you decide the best visa route for you. Our team have expert knowledge in these applications and can guide you correctly to ensure a positive result. At Kalsi Solicitors, we have no desire to provide dishonest advice – if we do not feel your application will be successful, we will tell you and help you find another route.

How We Can Help You

Get in Touch with us Today


This helps us prevent spam, thank you.

Any data that you submit using this web form will be held by our firm as Data Controller and will be held securely for 12 months before being securely and confidentially destroyed. Your data will not be disclosed to any third parties without your consent or as otherwise allowed by the relevant Data Protection legislation and will only be used for responding to your query (or purposes associated with that purpose).

You have the right to be informed about what data we hold about you along with other rights set out in the legislation. Further information about your rights under the data protection legislation can be found at

Full details can be found on our website at Privacy Notice

  • Person One
  • Person Two


Applying for your ADR visa from outside the UK

If you wish to apply for your adult dependant relative visa to enter the UK indefinitely, we can assist you in the application process. With all Adult Dependant Relative visas having to be submitted online, we can do this on your behalf and book your visa.


Applying for an extension of stay for your dependant relative following illness or trauma whilst already in the UK

If you are already in the UK- for example on a visit- and you have suddenly become unwell needing the care of your UK-based relative, we can assist in seeking an extension of stay.


Challenging a refusal

Adult Dependant Relative visa success rates are statistically low. If you have already made an application and this has been refused, our team of experts can submit your appeal, prepare your appeal documents and represent you in your hearing.


Immigration Matters. Get in Touch

Head Office

De Montfort House, 1 De Montfort Square, Leicester, LE1 7ER

Call Us

0800 368 8939