reclaiming british nationality

You can choose to give up (renounce) your British citizenship. You will get a ‘declaration of renunciation’ that you can use to show that you’re no longer British. This declaration will be signed and stamped and the date your citizenship stops will be declared on the form.


You may wish to do this if you want to become a citizen of another country. Please note your right to live in the UK may be affected if you choose to give up your Citizenship.

In renouncing your citizenship, it will be considered whether you are 18 years old or older and whether you are of a sound mind.

In some cases, it’s possible to resume your British nationality after renouncing it, however it is difficult to do this. Your state of mind, good character and age will be considered when deciding whether you can resume your citizenship. It is important to note that one you have been provided with a ‘declaration of renunciation’, you will have 6 months within which to obtain another nationality, otherwise your British citizenship still stands.


If you are looking to reclaim your British nationality, you will need to provide:


  1. A copy of your declaration of renunciation
  2. Your passport, or certificate of naturalisation or registration for your current citizenship or nationality
  3. An official letter or statement from the country you are currently a citizen or national of saying that if you had not given up your British citizenship you would have lost or failed to get your current citizenship or nationality.


  • Make sure you have the correct documents to attach to your application.
  • Make sure you have the original declaration of renunciation.
  • Prepare everything ahead of time.


  • Do not underestimate the complexity of this application.
  • Do not forget to prepare the correct evidence you need.
  • Do not forget a detailed cover letter to accompany your application.

Applying to reclaim your British Citizenship is a very important thing therefore careful consideration must be taken to complete the application accurately and honestly. Our team at Kalsi Solicitors can help complete the application for you, advise you on which documents are necessary to include, keep you in check with time limits.

How We Can Help You

Get in Touch with us Today

Visit Visas


Applying for a standard visitor visa

If you wish to bring your spouse or partner to the UK, we can assist you in the submission of the application of the visa. With all UK Spouse visa applications being made online, we can help UK based spouses apply for their partners from any country.

Contact us

Applying for long-term visitor visas

If you need to visit the UK regularly and over a longer period of time, then we can assist you in applying for a long-term visitor visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can however stay for a maximum of 6-months each visit.

Contact us

Applying to visit for private medical treatment

We can also assist you in applying to visit for private medical treatment. It is imperative to show that can pay for the relevant treatment and that you will leave once the treatment is completed.

Contact us

Immigration Matters. Get in Touch

Head Office

De Montfort House, 1 De Montfort Square, Leicester, LE1 7ER

Call Us

0800 368 8939