registration as a british citizen

Naturalisation as a British Citizen is only available to individuals over the age of 18 or over. Therefore, should you have a child that’s under the age of 18, you would be required to apply to Register them as a British Citizen.

Unfortunately, you do not automatically get British Citizenship if you were born in the UK. It all depends on when you were born and your parent’s circumstances.


You were born on or after 1st January 1983.

  • You can be eligible if you are under 18 and since your birth one of your parents has become a British Citizen or been granted Settled status.
  • You can also be eligible if you have lived in the UK until you were 10 or older.


You were born before 1983

  • You are automatically a British Citizen,

If your child was born after either of its parents were granted indefinite leave to remain, they shall not be required to apply for nationality and can apply directly for a British passport. Naturally the passport office shall need proof of the status of the child’s parents. If the child was born in the UK but before either parent had ILR, then the child shall need to be registered as British. In practical terms there is no difference between naturalisation and registration.


  • Make sure you have evidence of your parents’ nationality or settled status in the UK.
  • Make sure you have proof of your birth.
  • A detailed cover letter attached to your application is strongly advisable.


  • Do not forget to prepare the correct evidence you need.
  • Do be aware that it can take longer than 6 months to get a decision.
  • Do be aware that you will have to attend a citizenship ceremony.

Applying for registration of British Citizenship is a very important thing therefore careful consideration must be taken to complete the application accurately and honestly. Our team at Kalsi Solicitors can help complete the application for you, advise you on which documents are necessary to include, keep you in check with time limits and arrange an appointment for you to attend to register your Biometrics.

How We Can Help You

Get in Touch with us Today

Visit Visas


Applying for a standard visitor visa

If you wish to bring your spouse or partner to the UK, we can assist you in the submission of the application of the visa. With all UK Spouse visa applications being made online, we can help UK based spouses apply for their partners from any country.

Contact us

Applying for long-term visitor visas

If you need to visit the UK regularly and over a longer period of time, then we can assist you in applying for a long-term visitor visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can however stay for a maximum of 6-months each visit.

Contact us

Applying to visit for private medical treatment

We can also assist you in applying to visit for private medical treatment. It is imperative to show that can pay for the relevant treatment and that you will leave once the treatment is completed.

Contact us

Immigration Matters. Get in Touch

Head Office

De Montfort House, 1 De Montfort Square, Leicester, LE1 7ER

Call Us

0800 368 8939