sponsor licence

If you wish to employ someone to come to the UK and work for you, you will usually need to apply for a Sponsor Licence. This includes if you want to employ someone for unpaid work, such as running a charity. If the individual that you want to employ has Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or Settled Status in the UK, you will not need a sponsor licence.

In order to get a sponsor licence, you cannot have:

  1. Had a sponsor licence revoked in the last 12 months.
  2. Unspent convictions.

The licence you need depends on which type of workers you are sponsoring. There are 2 categories.



A Worker Licence allows you to employ people long-term. It is split into the following:



Temporary Worker

A Temporary Worker Licence allows you to employ people on a temporary basis. It is split into the following:

  • CREATIVE OR SPORTING WORKER – to work as a high-level sportsperson (up to 1 year) or an entertainer or artist (up to 2 years)
  • CHARITY WORKER – for unpaid workers at a charity (up to 1 year)
  • RELIGIOUS WORKER – for those working in a religious organization (2 years)
  • GOVERNMENT AUTHORIZED EXCHANGE WORKER – work experience (1 year) or research projects and training (2 years)
  • INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENT WORKER – where the worker is coming to do a job covered by international law
  • SEASONAL WORKER – for those coming to the UK to do farm work (up to 6 months)


  • Make sure you have appointed people within your business to manage the sponsorship process.
  • Make sure they have been allocated the required roles (authorising officer)
  • Ensure that you have applied for the correct licence
  • Make sure you have submitted supporting documents in the correct format
  • Make sure you pay the licence fees.


  • Do not underestimate the complexity of this application.
  • Do not forget to prepare the correct evidence you need.
  • Do not forget to assign a Certificate of Sponsorship to every foreign worker you employ.
  • Do not forget to check for a Certificate cost.
  • Do check if you need to pay an ‘immigration skills charge’.

An application for a sponsor requires careful preparation as the documentary evidence in support of your application needs to be fulfilled. Our team have expert knowledge in these applications and can guide you correctly to ensure a positive result. Please note that once a sponsor licence is refused, it can usually have an impact on the next time you try and apply for one which is why it is essential that the application is completed accurately the first time. This is where our highly experienced lawyers will be able to simplify and explain difficult parts of the application and advise you on which documents to provide with the application.

How We Can Help You

Get in Touch with us Today

Visit Visas


Applying for a standard visitor visa

If you wish to bring your spouse or partner to the UK, we can assist you in the submission of the application of the visa. With all UK Spouse visa applications being made online, we can help UK based spouses apply for their partners from any country.

Contact us

Applying for long-term visitor visas

If you need to visit the UK regularly and over a longer period of time, then we can assist you in applying for a long-term visitor visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can however stay for a maximum of 6-months each visit.

Contact us

Applying to visit for private medical treatment

We can also assist you in applying to visit for private medical treatment. It is imperative to show that can pay for the relevant treatment and that you will leave once the treatment is completed.

Contact us

Immigration Matters. Get in Touch

Head Office

De Montfort House, 1 De Montfort Square, Leicester, LE1 7ER

Call Us

0800 368 8939