If your partner is a British National, you may be eligible for a visa that grants you leave to enter in the UK for up to 2.5 years (30 months). Once this grant of leave expires, you will then have to submit an extension application, which if successful, will grant you leave for a further 2.5 years. Once you have had a total of 5 years leave to remain in the UK under this category, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
To meet the spouse visa requirements, the following must be shown:
- Your spouse is a British National. They are either already present and settled in the UK or will arrive with you.
- Both parties are aged 18 or over.
- Your relationship is a ‘genuine and subsisting’ one.
- Your marriage or civil partnership is recognised by UK Law.
- Your spouse will need to evidence earnings or savings of £18,600 to show they can support you without recourse to UK public funds. If you have any dependents, this financial amount will be higher.
- You need to evidence that you have suitable accommodation to live in.
- You both intend to live permanently in the UK.
- You must satisfy the English language requirement.