A Marriage Visitor Visa is a short-term visa that allows you and your partner to travel to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership or give notice of a marriage or civil partnership. This visa is ideal for you if you are a non-EU national who only intends on having your wedding ceremony in the UK, however you do not wish to stay or settle in the UK permanently.
This visa is different from a Fiancé Visa. You should apply for a Fiancé Visa if you want to permanently move to the UK to live with your spouse or partner and intend to get married within 6 months of arriving in the UK.
The Marriage Visitor Visa allows you to marry within 6 months of your arrival and pass through the UK in transit. This visa doesn’t allow you to get public funds (benefits), bring in family members (dependents), live in the UK for extended periods of time, extend your visa or switch to another visa, study in the UK or work (with some exceptions).
This visa is usually granted for 6 months.
To meet these requirements, the following must be shown:
- You are 18 years old or older.
- You are free to give notice of marriage or enter a marriage within 6 months of your arrival.
- You are in a genuine relationship.
- You are visiting the UK for less than 6 months.
- You will leave the UK at the end of your visit.
- You will not live in the UK for extended periods of time.
- You can financially support yourself during your trip.
- You can pay for your return or onward journey.
- You must provide proof that you are planning to get married in the UK, e.g. a booking confirmation.